Done! This great big box of batts:
Has been transformed into this:
That's 19 skeins, varying from 36m/12g (the last, bracelet-plyed little bit) to 230m/69g (and I have no idea how I managed to fit all that on one bobbin! I'm usually lucky to squeeze 50g on a bobbin with this yarn!).
Preparation: Picked and drum carded
Spinning method: Mostly point-of-twist long draw
Totals before washing: 2,746m, 444g. I've averaged about 3.5m/g
Started: July 3, 2011
Finished: October 21, 2011
This really has been a long project for me; I wouldn't normally expect it to take me nearly 4 months to spin just under a pound of fibre. So, why so slow? Partly, I think, because I burned out a bit on this project at the prep stage. Prep really isn't my favourite part of the process, but after the disappointment of the mixed dye lots, I really didn't want to prep on the fly again, and end up with another lot of disappointingly varied yarn. I wanted consistency. The other issue is an ergonomic one: long draw is intrinsically hard on the shoulder, and my wheel really isn't the best configuration for me and this technique. I've built strength as I've gone along, and I've also worked on improving my setup, but there is only so much that can be done. It may be that a new wheel is in my future...
Finally: I'm really excited about this week's Saturday giveaway, so do come back soon to check it out!